This recipe is for paste using extracted beans with no seeds (caviar)
- 8 oz empty, extracted vanilla bean pods (weighed after extraction)
- Notes: if using fresh beans, use 4.5oz of beans if; using ground vanilla bean powder use 2.5 oz of powder, if using extracted beans with caviar, use 8oz.
- 8 oz sugar
- 14 oz of alcohol (fluid oz I prefer dark spiced rum)
- 2 oz of invert sugar (fluid oz, most easy to find is corn syrup- at Rosemallow we make our own invert sugar and use that instead)
- 1/2 tsp of xantham gum (can be excluded, but paste will be much more runny)
Note: I strongly suggest borrowing or using an extremely high powdered blended like a Vitamix. It will pulverize the beans almost immediately and create a beautiful paste. We borrow our good friends Lisa & Manuel’s when we make it.
Yield is approximately 32 oz
Instructions for a Vitamix
- Put all ingredients except xantham gum in the blender. Put the top on and make sure its sealed tight.
- Slowly increase the speed of the blender until it is on high.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until the beans are completely ground up.
- Turn blender off, slowly add in the xantham gum at a low speed.
- Make sure blender is sealed up completely and grind it again on high speed for 1 minute.
- Jump to instructions storage instructions for final steps.
Instructions for a Food Processor used with a standard Blender
- in a food processor add the vanilla beans. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Add 2 oz of alcohol to vanilla beans. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Scrape sides, add 2 oz more of alcohol to vanilla beans. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Scrape sides, add 1/2 the sugar to the bean mixture. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Scrape sides, slowly add 4 oz of alcohol to the mixture. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Scrape sides, add other half of sugar to the mixture. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Scrape sides, add invert sugar or honey to mixture. Grind for approximately 1-1.5 min.
- Transfer mixture to standard blender. Add the remaining alcohol. Blend for 3-7 min checking the consistency every minute or so to see if the consistency is VERY smooth and has VERY little fibers/chunks.
- Pour into a large, wide mouthed mason jar, put a lid on it. DO NOT water bathe or pressure cook these to SEAL- it is VERY dangerous AND unnecessary!!!
- Label with date.
- It will last on the counter for multiple months.
- Like extract it will get better with time.
- Look at the GF recipe blog for other recipes to maximize use of these precious beans
If you love our recipes- check out our divine confections we make on our storefront (we ship!)